Creature Feature 6th: Basic Statlines

For those wondering about the corner asymmetry (nobody but me), it's just how the original image was.

It's about time I started actually posting my work on this thing. All I've done so far is supply an Allies Matrix. Now, I can give you a basic statline. After the jump, of course.


The original Creature Feature (henceforth referred to as CF1) gave you Small, Medium and Large statlines. I'll keep with that template, but also add a Swarms statline as a trial run, as it seems like a missed opportunity.

Looking at the original statlines, I can see a few things I don't really like. Specifically, I feel the base WS, I and Ld are too high. Why would every creature in the galaxy be faster, more skilled and braver than a Guardsman? There is a way to get lower Initiative, but this only allows you to be I1. Therefore, I'm reducing those base stats by a bit.

All creatures in CF1 have BS0, but miraculously gain BS3 when they purchase a ranged attack. I'm going to include that in the base stats for streamlining purposes. I'm also going to remove the base Armour Save on smaller creatures as not everything's that protected. Anyway, here are the four basic statlines.

I haven't tried Blogger tables before, so bear with until I find something that works for me.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Type
     WS   
    BS        S       T        W        I          A        Ld   
 Sv    
Small
3
3
3
3
1
3
1
8
-
Medium
3
3
4
4
1
3
1
8
6+
Large
3
3
5
5
1
3
2
8
5+
Swarm
3
3
3
3
3
3
3
8
-


Meh, it'll do until I can figure out how to alternate between white and grey rows. Why didn't I try this while I was at RulesMan? And why have I got an enormous gap up there? Blame the HTML, that seems like the path of least resistance.

Anyway, you need points costs to put those into context. These will be different for Creatures and Florae.

Creatures

Small Creature: 3 points
Medium Creature: 8 points
Large Creature: 20 points
Creature Swarms: 9 points

Unit Type: Infantry
Unit Special Rules: Swarms (Creature Swarms only)


Florae

Small Flora: 2 points
Medium Flora: 6 points
Large Flora: 15 points
Flora Swarms: 6 points

Unit Type: Immobile
Unit Special Rules: Infiltrate, Swarms (Flora Swarms only)


Unit Composition: Taking a Creatures and Florae Detachment gives you 3 Creature Choices. You may use one Creature Choice to take 1-4 Small Creatures or Florae, 1-2 Medium Creatures or Florae or 1-3 Creatures Swarms or Flora Swarms. Alternatively, you may use all 3 Creature Choices to take a single Large Creature or Flora.

You may combine Creature or Florae squads taken from different Choices so long as they are the same unit type.

There you have it. As you'd expect, plants are Immobile, but have Infiltrate to represent being naturally placed (but not Lictor/Cally style as you'd expect the enemy to exterminate such things while they set up for battle).

Next time we'll go over some abilities to give them. Signing off...

Comments