Wednesday, 4 July 2012

6th, Allies, and the Truth About Raider Planks

Good news! I lied. I got in a game with 'Scape! More after the jump...

Right, so I finally managed to test 6th Edition for real. I brought:

Master Bryss' Space Marines feat. Dark Eldar- 1501

Librarian
Haemonculus with Hexrifle
5 Tactical Marines in a Razorback

5 Tactical Marines in a Razorback
5 Scouts with four Sniper Rifles and one Missile Launcher
5 Kabalites in a Raider with Night Shields
5 Terminators with a Sergeant with Power Axe
3 Trueborn with two Splinter Cannons in a Raider with Night Shields
Land Speeder with Multi-Melta
Land Speeder with Multi-Melta
Land Raider Redeemer with Multi-Melta
Razorwing with Splinter Cannon, two Dark Lances and four Monoscythe Missiles

'Scape brought:

Cyberscape7's Eldar feat. Grey Knights- 1500-ish
Farseer with Runes of Witnessing and three powers
Grey Knights Librarian with Nemesis Daemon Hammer
10 Dire Avengers with Exarch with Power Sword and Shimmershield and Defend
10 Dire Avengers with Exarch with two Shuriken Catapults
5 Grey Knight Terminators with Psycannon and two Halberds
10 Interceptors with two Psycannons, four Halberds and four Daemon Hammers
4 Dark Reapers with Exarch with Missile Launcher and Fast Shot
Fire Prism

We rolled a Crusade mission with four objectives. All of our psykers took Discipline powers. I took the Flame Breath (I drew Molten Beam but was only Level 1 so had to swap for the Primaris...) and Puppet Master powers, the Librarian took the Singing one and something else, the Farseer went all Divination and got Misfortune, Perfect Timing and something else.

Each of our Librians was a Warlord, I rolled something useless and 'Scape rolled You Are Now Scoring. Game highlights include...

Divination is Awesome: When the 'Who Gets What' guide came out, people complained about how Eldar got it bad. This is because Divination is all they really need. 'Scape deployed his Farseer with his Dark Reapers. That he then Blessed to ignore cover. I can tell you this hurts. My Scouts never got a shot in edgeways.

Terminators Are Awesome: New wound allocation rolls meant we both rolled one at a time for Termie saves. I have stated many times that it is a scientific fact that only 1 in 20 Terminator saves fail if the dice are rolled individually. That said, they did still somehow die after about 5000 shots from my small Trueborn unit.

Raider Planks Are Convenient: When the new Raider model came out, we all thought "What on Terra is the point of the plank?" Well, I can now tell you. It is...


A very handy place to put your Hull Points marker. It's so handy.


Flyers Die To Strong Sunlight: The official description of the Sunburst power says the psyker sings his heart out, becoming increasingly brighter until the aura of brightness explodes in a flash of STRONG SUNLIGHT. Essentially. Behold its power:


Yeah, I shouldn't have let him get that close, but seriously? My best Dark Eldar unit died to SINGING? And I'd only fired two of my Monoscythe missiles...

So, what do I think? I'm lucky he didn't bring Necrons.

Ok, in all seriousness, it was great. The game ended in a draw, as both of us had one objective, both our Warlords were dead (even if mine died to Perils...), 'Scape got First Blood thanks to his Dark Rapers, and I had my Termies in his deployment zone at game end. All he had left was a depleted Dire Avenger squad and two Interceptors.

The Mysterious and Archeotech Objectives we used didn't really do too much, if I'm honest. The DA squad that got a cover bonus got assaulted, and the DA squad that got assault protection got shot at (and ultimately survived the game).

We didn't really Snap Fire too much, except my Land Raider. It's nice to use Power of the Machine Spirit for a lucky melta punt and get a single Assault Cannon hit on something.

We had one challenge, between my Librarian and his Power Weapon Exarch. It's a really nice way of whittling down multi-wounders, and it means the single power weapon in a squad gets more efficient use rather than just being thrown in with all the other attacks.

Hull Points. All of my vehicles bar one Razorback and the Razorwing survived the game. Then again, I think that a certain other factor helped with that.

Pre-measuring. This is huge. I could determine the range of the ShuriCat Murder Net and avoid it. Infantry will need to work harder when fighting mechanised armies.

Allies. The Grey Knights did a lot to help the Footdar. Mobility for Eldar is expensive. Maybe Footdar with non-Grudging Allies is the way to go instead.

I'm not sure what the Dark Eldar added to my Marine force besides a Flyer with more than two Hull Points. The Trueborn unit provided loads of shots for a low price, but the Troop unit was next to useless.

More experimentation is needed.

Oh, and I received my Power Cards, Skull Measure and 2 XV15 Stealth Suits today. Have I told you how much I love XV15 Stealth Suits? Maybe I need to do a favourite minis post soon...

Oh, and a happy Independence Day to all my American watchers. Don't worry, unlike with the military thing, I fully support the 4th of July.

No comments: