Themed Army: Retrocrons @1500

I don't very often design a list that I will never play, or am extremely unlikely to, but I thought I'd give this a stab in the wake of NINO. This is a themed list that tries to recreate the old style Necron army, with what I considered to be the ' key characteristics' of the fluff and playstyle of the old book, but in a modern setting. It's probably not competitive, but I don't care, it's retro.

Master Bryss' Retrocrons- 1500

HQ
"Necron Lord:" Overlord with Phaeron, Res Orb- 140

Troops
"Warriors:" 10 Immortals with Gauss Blasters- 170
"Warriors:" 10 Immortals with Gauss Blasters- 170
"Warriors:" 10 Immortals with Gauss Blasters- 170
"Warriors:" 10 Immortals with Gauss Blasters- 170

Fast Attack
"Destroyers:" 4 Tomb Blades with shield vanes and particle beamers- 120
3 Heavy Destroyers- 180
3 Heavy Destroyers- 180

Heavy Support
Monolith- 200

For less faithful but maybe slightly better Destroyers, use Shadowlooms instead of shield vanes.

Right then Mr Kilgore, let's see. You've got your resilient MEQ Troops back in the form of Immortals, aka Old Warriors But Better. For a facsimile of old Immortals, use your Phaeron to make one unit Relentless. You exchange the second shot for being scoring, so I can live with that.

I haven't bothered with Elites as the two choices I had there, C'tan and Flayed Ones, don't fit in well. For a retro C'tan, use two of of Gaze of Death, Transdimensional Thunderbolt and Grand Illusion.

In fast, the nippy S6 Blast Tomb Blade is the obvious Destroyer candidate, Blast being vaguely equivalent to the 3 shots of old. Heavy Destroyers are used as they always were, with Jetbike not making too much of a difference unless you need to escape in a hurry...

...which you could do with the Monolith. I know it's not as good as before, but as the list hasn't got Scarabs I can't use the only other retro Heavy, Spyders, and I couldn't afford a C'tan. It can now fire the Particle Whip and use the teleport nexus though, which is a plus.

In fact, the more I think about it the more I might actually use this list. I just need to proxy Immortals with Warriors and Tomb Blades with Destroyers and I'm good to go.

The main disadvantage to the list is it's not very scalable in the AT department while keeping to the theme. At higher levels Crypteks would become a must for me, maybe Szeras for the chance of T5 Immortals, and a Doomsday Ark or two, maybe in place of the 'Lith.

Right, that does it. I am trying this out soon.

Comments