Top Bryss Reviews the Necron Ark


Tonight- Felix loses a small kitten, 'Scape gets electrocuted and I deal with people who take this show seriously...

Yes, hello, hello, and welcome to the second part of this Top Bryss, where it is now time to review the new high-end Necron kit. Cue swooshy camera techniques.

It's called the Ark, and it costs 31 thousand pounds. For that, you get three sprues, two of which have been pushed to the very limit in terms of how many parts that fit onto them. The third one, however, has more breathing space than the Sahara Desert. The GW website boasts it contains 168 components, however, there is a problem.

I imagine the sprue design phase was fun for this...

You see, it could have easily been less. One half of the massive Doomsday Cannon is a component, however the tiny 2x1mm rectangle thing that goes onto the cable that glues on to said cannon is also a 'component.' Why on earth couldn't that have been integrated into another part? It's more fiddly than the World Violin Championships, and what's worse is that there's two of them. They say that GW products are increasingly aimed at kids, and yet the parts are getting smaller, and that just doesn't work. Also, the pilot's neck is a seperate component to the head. Why? The Warriors get necks on their bodies no problem, what's so difficult about doing the same for the pilot?

Despite the bucketload of components, the kit is typically minimalistic. There are no add-ons, and the only leftover parts are the ones used in the other configuration. I magnetised mine, and at the end I had three empty sprues. This means I squeezed every inch of that 31 thousand pounds out of the kit, and I'm quite pleased with that.

What I'm not pleased with is that GW have taken a huge step backwards. When I bought a new Dark Eldar Raider, with its ball and socket flying stem, I was immensely pleased and hailed it as the future of flying stem design. Oh, how wrong I was. With the Ark, which is rather long by GW vehicle standards, they reverted to the old design, which fits about as well to the Ark as a glove on a foot. This confused me a lot, but then again I don't know whether this kit entered the design stage. Maybe we'll see the new style stem again. Please let us see the new style stem again.

Anyway, in the actual construction process all of the parts fitted with minimal hassle (although I'll have to paint it in sub-assemblies, which I hate doing), it doesn't take a genius to fit it together (although I found it very tedious dealing with all the midget-size parts), and magnetisation isn't difficult at all due to the nature of the joins.

Generally I'm impressed, but it could have done with some more tweaking.


And that's Top Bryss for now. That didn't take as long as I thought.

Comments