More Brainstorming: Vect, Vect, Britishness and Vect

I just realised I included 'Britishness' as a key word on my HoP application without fully describing it. I also realised my 3rd edition Archon has a silly lightsabre thing that my young mind believed was cool but I now believe to be a bit impractical. So I shall address both.

Britishness first. A quick search of the most hyperbolic thing I could find gave me some quotes from the site of that cursed Champion Of Tzeentch (counts as Nurgle) T'Leeks. So in very general terms we apparently play slow, love hoarding one large army, like Apocalypse and are very odd indeed. I shall now address this relating to my position.

Slow? What are you, German? I thought I was an efficiency freak. I power-walk whenever possible. To me, being British is getting the job done, and I could very easily finish a 2000-pointer in a smaller amount of time than you expect, even if my army isn't entirely mounted in plastic bricks (paper darts if I'm DE).

My Space Marines top out at about 4000 points, but this is mainly because I have more than ten commanders for no apparent reason. There isn't a single army I don't play barring spin-off Marines, because I like being able to switch, not because of some metagame but because this week I want to improve my Daemons game, or Eldar, or whatever.

Apocalypse to me represents an easier way to test homebrew on unsuspecting opponents, as well as pitting my pet super-heavy against someone else's pet super-heavy. That said, I lose aforementioned tank very early on, often against Deffkoptas. A typical Apoc for me isn't grandiose, it's one on one 3000, one SH per side, because I know we'll finish.

Ultimately 40k started out as an odd British thing. This is why I take every opportunity to read stuff like PRIMARCHS or Turn Signals, they revive that old sense of fun. I don't take the fluff seriously much, modding it on the fly to suit my purposes.

Britishness today is about both accepting and subverting the cliched images of Britishness. Now, to Vect.

Vect represents a huge leap forward in terms of my converting limits. Usually I build everything in a shed, with glue n' clippers and not much else, but I'll use Vect to learn some more skills. Below is a 5-minute blurry sideyways mock-up of my vision of Vect:



Jes Goodwin eat your heart out.


The thing in the corner was meant to be a Black Mage, but I gave up. The main ideas here are the extra robes, to be GS'ed, and the staff is a Raider pole of all things, with a dark orb replacing the skulls. I'll be working on him simultaneously with Malys, and the end product should look very 3rd-edition, to represent Vect's sheer ancientness.


Incidentally I mentioned Scottishness too, which to me is about inventing things, which may or may not go right. Now I'm off for a cup of tea.

Comments

Von said…
Ultimately 40k started out as an odd British thing. This is why I take every opportunity to read stuff like PRIMARCHS or Turn Signals, they revive that old sense of fun. I don't take the fluff seriously much, modding it on the fly to suit my purposes.

Britishness today is about both accepting and subverting the cliched images of Britishness.


I like it!

It's been pointed out by an American acquaintance that 40K is quintessentially British underneath the GRIMDARK exterior - the fascination with crumbling empires, the breadth of references and allusions, and the cheery ridiculousness of it all (viz: Orks = football hooligans in space). British enough to help her guess my nationality with little else in the way of clues, anyway.
Master Bryss said…
I never actually noticed the crumbling empires thing until you pointed it out...wow that was really obvious.

I also may be the only one to spot private school humour in certain aspects of 40k. Can anyone tell me what Ventris REALLY means?