Sunday, 17 April 2011

Forge World Analysis: Wraithseer



Been a while since I've done one of these, so I'll do this one. So, this is the Wraithseer. It looks great, doesn't it?

First. let's look at what has been done right. Believe it or not, this is the only Eldar psyker that doesn't have to pay anything for powers. This is a good move, as it makes the model slightly more worth it, even though the powers are a mixed bag. Giving a Wraithlord Fleet? Fantastic. Barely viable extra save? Not so great. On the other hand, no line of sight is needed, which is especially good with the fallback power.

Greater Spiritseer is another thing done right. Reducing the 'traditional' Cover Save to 5+ can be great againt Guardsman, Gaunts and that, especially combined with the Eldar Missile Launcher with its AP4 pinning blast, although admittedly it's about the only weapon to really benefit from this (maybe starcannons to a lesser extent).

Despite this, I can't see myself using the W-Seer. Why? Well, it costs 290 points. This puts it at a level with the C'tan, and we see them running around freqently, don't we? And to make matters worse, that cost includes the 3-man Wraithguard unit that's got Fire Warrior Disease and serves only as a waste of an Elites slot and a free Kill Point.

The W-Seer has the unique option of my favourite support weapon, the D-Cannon. Unfortunately, I only like the Cannon for its looks and that's a 50 point sink for a small blast with mediocre range. If Forge World replace the 'D' with 'Prism' then I may be interested....

Summary: It's the Nightbringer with the second best Deceiver power, a worse Inv save, overcosted weapons and a free Kill point 33% of the time.

Aesthetics:8
Viability:4
Performance:6.5
Overall Score: 18.5.

Feel free to disagree with above score. Now, an announcement. Like Atrotos did before me, I've now got a pet project blog, Bryssling. It will serve as my blog for my thoughts on 40k that don't involve custom rules and design, ie my playstyle and why, my armies, my thoughts on the new Inquisition and the odd battle report. I shall post my Inquisition thoughts there shortly.

6 comments:

Oblivion_Necroninja said...

...I'm confused. How are Wraithseers 310 Pts?
They're only 185 pts.

Unless you're counting the unit of Wraithguard you have to have to field one. Which, yeah, will be useless if left at minimum size. It's not really fair to count the price of the Wraithguard in the price of the Wraithseer, though.

Master Bryss said...

Also counting the compulsory gun. It also bothers me that the cheap Shuriken Cannon isn't available either.

Including the Wraithguard means less Dragons, Harlies,etc unless you fork out an extravagant sum to make them Troops. I suppose that 3-man squad might do alright in a Falcon or Serpent, which is another 100+ points.

I suppose it isn't fair to include it if I was only evaluating the performance of the Wraithseer, however the compulsory Guard means you can't throw it in any army, as it creates 100 odd points doing naff all. It forces you to build around it, and I'd just like it as an awesome standalone unit.

Oblivion_Necroninja said...

Now, as I read the wraithseer rules, you don't need to buy a gun. It says "The Wraithseer *may* be armed with one of the following weapons", which implies that you don't need to purchase anything.

As for compulsory Wraithguard, even if they ARE expensive, they're still strong, durable, and armed with Wraithcannons. A full squad of Wraithguard troops can probably get something good done over the course of a battle, especially since they're T6, 3+ save, Fearless, and scoring.

Master Bryss said...

Ah yes, you're right. Fair enough. 290 minimum then. Will amend.

Yeah, Wraithguard might be able to do something useful... but it's 386 points (assuming cheapest power for Warlock) to make them scoring and if you do that they can't get in a transport. Coupled with their 12" guns and average pace, they can score or shoot, not both, unless you put them in the open and goad your enemy into whittling them down to correct transport size.

Oblivion_Necroninja said...

...I'm confused. How are Wraithseers 310 Pts?
They're only 185 pts.

Unless you're counting the unit of Wraithguard you have to have to field one. Which, yeah, will be useless if left at minimum size. It's not really fair to count the price of the Wraithguard in the price of the Wraithseer, though.

Oblivion_Necroninja said...

Now, as I read the wraithseer rules, you don't need to buy a gun. It says "The Wraithseer *may* be armed with one of the following weapons", which implies that you don't need to purchase anything.

As for compulsory Wraithguard, even if they ARE expensive, they're still strong, durable, and armed with Wraithcannons. A full squad of Wraithguard troops can probably get something good done over the course of a battle, especially since they're T6, 3+ save, Fearless, and scoring.