Rules Review: Necron Tomb Stalker



By Master Bryss

I’ve always had a soft spot for the little metal men of 40k, they were my first army after all. And now Forge World in their infinite generosity have given them a centipede. I love the look of this thing, I want one for my army, but do I want the rules? Let’s have a look...

On first impressions the TS appears to be moulded in a similar manner to the Trygon. It has the ability to deep strike, it’s monstrous, it’s got loads of wounds, it Fleets and it’s pretty damn hardy too, with the second best toughness in the game. It also borrows a Carnifex rule to have 6 attacks on the charge, and it’s here the Tyranid similarities end.

That’s not saying much though, the only things that mark it out as Necron in any way is the Gauss Flayers it holds and the War Construct rule (there’s also Night Vision/Acute Senses, but considering how situational it is and how short range its guns are I’ll disregard this). War Construct is an incredibly good rule to have as it eliminates the most common Monstrous Creature weakness (poison) in the same way as the Monolith eliminates melta guns. It also makes a lot of sense for a Necron, so I like it. The other main weakness of MCs is getting stuck in combat with tarpit units, but guess what? This thing has Hit and Run! Problem solved.

As it’s a Heavy choice, this means it’s competing with the Monolith for a place in your army, and even then you’ll need permission to use it and can’t use it in many tourneys. But when you can use it, the main question is whether or not you’d take one over a ‘Lith. I think I would. As it stands this is probably the best anti-tank option the Necrons have, mainly because it’s so fast. Problem is, all the useless meltaguns in the enemy army may well target this instead, but not killing it in a turn allows it to hide in combat, something vehicles can’t do. In comparison, the Monolith is a great LOS blocker that adds mobility to the rest of your army but is slow moving and doesn’t tend to earn its points back quickly. So both have strengths and weaknesses.

As it stands to me, the Tomb Stalker is a very welcome addition to a Necron army, a solid ruleset by Forge World (I’m not sure if I’d increase the cost a bit though) and an excellent Heavy purchase all round. Shame it will no doubt cost me a hundred quid to add it to my army.

Comments

Atrotos said…
I think the cost is just right relative to other things in the codex. If this were in the Tyranid codex it would be too cheap but in a codex full of overpriced and underperforming entries I think it fits right in.

Count on it being around 50 quid - FW's prices are actually getting to be more reasonable as GW's keep climbing.
The Herald said…
It's £36 at GD. Likely to go up to £50/60 post, though.

I personally love the rules for the Stalker (and i'm still ecstatic about predicting its existance ;)) but why, oh dear god why, couldn't they have placed it into the Fast Attack choices? While it'd still be competing for a slot (I never leave home without the Cannons), it'd also make a bit more sense. Sure it's a Monstrous Creature, but its also:
a) more suited to a tomb themed force
b) more fast than heavy hitting... wait whut?
c) more suited to a Wraith role than a Monolith or Tomb Spyder.

The pts don't really seem too bad - if anything, they should go down! Everything else in the army is overpriced, so the Stalker could use a lower cost to even things out. Meh, ah well...

Good FW update for an ailing codex.
Anonymous said…
FW tend to charge the same for GD releases as they intend to charge by mail, only the postage ups the price.
Points wise, I think it's about right, Trygon comparisons aside the 'nids are generally under priced on points (broodlord is way too cheap and the very broken D.O.M is stupid cheap, not to mention the tervigon).
I like the model, I like the rules and I can live with the price. What I like best however is just how much the 'nid players are moaning about it already. Hah! They just can't stand any fair competition. At least it doesn't spew out 3d6 scarabs a turn as a 20 point upgrade.... and yes, I hate 'nids with a passion even if I've never lost to them. That's down to playing since first edition rogue trader and a brilliant tactical plan not for having a sickeningly over powered army.
Anonymous said…
The Tomb Stalker fills a gap every necron army is missing. The ability to lock units in combat and it is a meat shield taking alot of shots normal troops shots cant even touch it and its a combat machine which necrons lack.
Anonymous said…
we needed it, but why 195points? a freakin wraithlord with pown ass stats costs 90points... we spend like 100 more for what? rules and 2 extra wounds and some extra attacks?

str4 fire can still harm us! just make it T8 and I would be more than happy :D
Anonymous said…
FW tend to charge the same for GD releases as they intend to charge by mail, only the postage ups the price.
Points wise, I think it's about right, Trygon comparisons aside the 'nids are generally under priced on points (broodlord is way too cheap and the very broken D.O.M is stupid cheap, not to mention the tervigon).
I like the model, I like the rules and I can live with the price. What I like best however is just how much the 'nid players are moaning about it already. Hah! They just can't stand any fair competition. At least it doesn't spew out 3d6 scarabs a turn as a 20 point upgrade.... and yes, I hate 'nids with a passion even if I've never lost to them. That's down to playing since first edition rogue trader and a brilliant tactical plan not for having a sickeningly over powered army.