Monday, 8 March 2010

Rules Manufactorum Character Design Contest




Hello all,

So the site has been up for a while and doing great. There's new entries going up every few days and the feedback has been excellent all around. As a 'thank you' to those that have participated and as an invitation to those who haven't I'm hosting a character design contest. The contest is open to anyone who wishes to join.

Rules for Participation:

Send in an idea for one Warhammer 40,000 character with rules and stats written by yourself. The submission must include:


  • Name, rules and stats for your character complete with a description of any unique rules 
  • One clear picture of a model that accurately represents the rules you've written against a blank background. 
  • A single paragraph describing the background and history of the character you've designed. 
Participants should aim to make their entries balanced but innovative with a focus on making a strong connection between their character's rules and their character's background. Send your submission to rulesmanufactorum.gmail.com

The winner will be determined by an open voting poll posted on the site. Prize support will vary based on the number of votes submitted with up to 100 votes earning the winner a Rhino priced kit,100-400, a Valkyrie priced kit and 400 or more earning the winner a Battleforce priced kit of their choice. The poll will open in 3 weeks.

-Atrotos



Note: All submissions should be original characters. Other competitions will focus on characters from existing sources but all of the entries in this competition should be unique.


Any questions?

15 comments:

Master Bryss said...

I take it I have to make up an entirely new guy and can't use Bryss?

This sounds like fun! Here we go...

Atrotos said...

Why not use Bryss? I'd love to see a model for that guy.

Ambience 327 said...

Can we design characters for existing figures in GW fiction (i.e. Black Library characters), or are you looking for more original work (or at least as original as GW gets - I'm thinking of "Guardsman Marbo" here).

Atrotos said...

Ambience, the contest is for original characters only but that shouldn't trouble you - Marbo can't be the *only* "One Man Army" in the Galaxy can he? I think you'll find inventing your own character to be more fun and far more rewarding.

Ambience 327 said...

Well, I wasn't saying I would redesign Marbo, I was asking if BL characters were ok (i.e. Caiaphis Cain or Shira Calpurnia) or if you wanted our own original work. I got my answer, despite your apparent misunderstanding of my intentions. (I nodded to Marbo as a way to say that even GW's "original characters" are often based on other works.)

Admiral Drax said...

I did this a little while back for an old conversion I did. Might I enter that, please? - for fun, mostly!

Atrotos said...

Admiral Drax, if your submission meets the criteria in the post by all means send it in! RulesManufactorum@gmail.com

silveryfox said...

Are you limited to one character per participant?

Atrotos said...

No you may have more than one (let's keep the maximum at three shall we?) provided they are all completely different.

silveryfox said...

Is it allowed to link to another ones model, since my character is based around a concept rather than an actual figure that I have?

But its a photo of the tabletop model you want for a picture and not an actual picture?

Atrotos said...

You are allowed to use concept art though keep in mind you will be scored on how well your rules represent what's in the picture and the fluff.

This picture should be drawn by you but obviously I have no way of verifying that.

silveryfox said...

Ok, art or model done by me. Just asking, not here to cheat :P

Like the competition very much!

TSINI said...

Just sent in my entry, looking forward to seeing the other stuff!

Chaosgerbil said...

Hey I hope this isn't too inappropriate to post this link here, but I have a Lost and the Damned Codex I have been working on for about a year. I just put up a new version and I would love for you guys to look at it.

http://chaosgerbil.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/codex-lost-and-the-damned-2-0-is-here/

If I have time I'll cook up a special character to go in both the contest and the codex, before the deadline.

peteclines said...

How do we view the characters in the poll?