Imperial Guard Doctrines
Mr. Cruddace's Imperial Guard Codex is one of my favorite to date. With good choices in every FOC slot the current IG rulebook is a stellar example of the progress Games Workshop has made with respect to Codex writing. Despite this there are portions of the codex that warrant the attention of meddling rules designers such as myself - today we're going to cover Doctrines.
In the last codex Doctrines were a system through which each Imperial Guard player's force could be made unique and characterful. Doctrines still serve this purpose to an extent but have become a sideshow attraction and hardly change the aspect of any army at all.
Of course, it's almost impossible to represent all the armies we read about in novels and other background sources with just one codex - or is it?
Imperial Guard Doctrines and Equipment
The following Doctrines and Equipment may be taken at +30 points for the entire unit:
- Drop Troops: The squad may be equipped with Grav Chutes, Tunneling Equipment, Teleportation Device etc. They gain the Deep Strike Special Rule and may take Valkyries as dedicated Transports. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans and Sentinels (both types).
- PDF: The squad defensive preparations grant it +1 to its cover save (or a 5+ cover save if in the open) until the first time it moves. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans, Platoon Command Squads, Infantry Squads and Heavy Weapons Squads.
- Active Camouflage: The squad's armor's light bending quality means that any enemy unit wishing to target them must roll for Night Fighting halving the distance if the Night Fighting rules are in effect. If the roll is failed the enemy unit may choose another target but may not roll for Night Fighting twice in one turn. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans, Storm Troopers, Valkyries and Vendettas
- Guerrillas: The squad gains the Infiltrate USR but may not Outflank. Available to Company Command Squads, and Veterans.
- First and Only: The squad is split into 5 Heavy Weapons Teams each armed with one Sniper Rifle. They retain their BS and gain the Infiltrate and Acute Senses Special Rules. Available to Veterans only.
- Honor Guard: The squad gains + 1 to their Attacks characteristic and one member replaces his Close Combat Weapon with a Power Weapon. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans, Storm Troopers, Sentinel Squadrons and Rough Riders. Sentinels that are part of squadrons with this upgrade count as having Power Weapons.
- Marksmen: The squad's lasguns (or hot-shot lasguns) gain the Rending Special Rule: Available to Company Command Squads, Storm Troopers and Veterans.
- Commandos: The squad gains +1 to their WS and all their close combat attacks count as Rending. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans and Storm Troopers.
- Primitives/Abhumans: The squad may replace their lasguns with laspistols. In close combat this unit may re-roll any failed 'to hit' rolls in any turn in which they have assaulted or if they have won combat in the previous turn. Available to Platoon Infantry Squads and Veterans.
- Heavy Infantry: The squad gains the Slow and Purposeful USR. In addition every model in the squad may re-roll failed armor and Invulnerable saves. Available to Company Command Squads and Veterans.
- Urban Warfare: The squad gains the Move Through Cover Special Rule and count as having Flash Grenades. They may carry a Shotgun with Manstopper rounds in addition to any other equipment. Flash Grenades add +1 to the user's initiative on the charge and may be used in addition t Frag Grenades. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans and Storm Troopers.
- Skitarii: The squad's augmentations grant them a 5+ Invulnerable save. In addition the squad's sergeant or Officer may take a Signum at no extra cost. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans, Ogryn squads of five or less, Rough Riders, Tech Priests and Storm Troopers.
- Tech Guard: The squad's augmentations add +1 to their Ballistic Skill. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans, Storm Troopers, Rough Riders, Tech Priests and Ogryn squads of five or less.
- Chem-Inhalers: The squad gains the Feel No Pain Special Rule. Available to Company Command Squads, Veterans, Storm Troopers, Rough Riders and Ogryn squads of five or less.
- Commissar Cadets: The squad's sergeant is replaced with a Commissar at no extra cost. The Commissar has the 'Junior Officer' special rule and may give Orders to his own squad only. He may take any wargear normally available. Available to Veteran squads only.
Let me know if I missed any!
Stay tuned for IG Doctrines Part 2: Forces of Chaos.